This is the third and final post for this topic.
Last time I wrote about letting some stuff go in order to make room for some new things that I want to do. I talked about delegating some tasks to others, and questioning how much social media I wanted to try to keep up with.
So here is the big one…….. My blog. When I sat down with my big calendar and started planning out a bunch of blog posts, and also looked at all of the other stuff on my calendar, I realized- there is no way I can do EVERYTHING. I like sharing on my blog with my readers and getting their comments and feedback! (Every blogger loves comments!!!!) I have met people and made friends from all over the world whom I never would have met otherwise.
However, I don’t think I can keep up the content creation that I’ve been doing in the past- for example, a new recipe or project (or 2) almost every week. And as I mentioned earlier, I do enjoy doing the e-magazine and I love doing books. I think that from now on, this is where most of my original creative content will go. What I have finally accepted is that I just can’t do it all- by the time I create recipes and projects for my blog, AND for the e-magazine…. and then post everything to my other social media…. I just never have time to work on all of those other creative projects that I am itching to explore. I will still be hanging out on my blog, showing you snips of what’s going on in my studio, photos of interesting places, etc. And of course, there will still be special events like the big Blog Hop that we just did in December. And an occasional quick project or recipe that I share. But the frequency of my blog posts will decrease.
This is a tough decision for me. However, I have to ask myself what my priorities are. I am not a professional blogger, and I have to be honest with myself about how much time I can put into it. I am going to try to not pressure myself to post twice a week, or even once a week, if I feel like I don’t really have anything interesting to share (or if I’m working on another project which requires a large amount of my time and energy.) I have thought about taking on contributors…. but that would put me into the realm of “professional blogging” which is not really what I ever intended to be. (And, who knows- there may come a time in the not-so-distant- future when I just change my mind and decide to start posting several times a week again. Because honestly, it’s going to take a lot of discipline and resolve on my part of not feeling “obligated” to spend hours & hours every week on my blog.) When I was considering this difficult decision, I consulted with someone whose opinion I respect, and it was affirming that she gave me “permission” to not require so much of myself on the blogging front.
I hope you will stick with me here on my blog! I hope that you will continue to be inspired by the things which inspire me and that I will be sharing. Please follow me by email subscription (see the box at the upper right of this page, or click here) to make sure that you don’t miss any of my posts.
It is important for me to let you know that I truly appreciate every single reader who takes the time to visit me here on my blog! And for those of you who have been with me for a while, thank you for your loyalty.
(My biggest fear is that if I don’t post at least twice a week, you will all forget about me!) But at this point, I really have to be honest with myself about what I can handle.
And now… You can help me out a little by giving me some of your feedback/comments.
- What is your favorite form of social media? How important is social media to you?
- Do you hang out on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, Google+, or somewhere else?? (I’d love to know so I can maximize my efforts on my most popular pages and platforms, and let go of those which are not yielding great results/engagement.)
- Do you read a lot of blogs (and if so- how do you keep up with them? Email notification, subscription, blog reader, Bloglovin’, etc.??)
- What are your favorite types of blog posts (not just here on my blog, but in general?)
- Are you looking for tutorials?
- Projects- sewing or non-sewing, craft projects, with or without fabric?
- Giveaways and contests?
- Product reviews (if so, what kind of products)?
- Announcements/previews of new products? Fabric lines?
- Inspirational photos?
- Household tips/suggestions?
- Inspiring/funny stories about people, animals, etc.?
- This is possibly the most important question- Where do you find out about new products, designs, books, etc? I am wondering where it would be best for me to focus my marketing, with limited time…
Your answers are extremely important to me. If I won’t be posting on my blog as often, I’d love to know which types of social media would be the best way to connect with you all.
Any and all feedback you give me as to the kind of content that you are interested in would be so helpful to me in focusing my efforts to have a great blog, books that you want to read and an e-magazine that you’d love to subscribe to. (If you don’t want to comment here, you can also email me directly firstname.lastname@example.org)
Here’s to Letting Go and Looking Forward!!